I was nominated for the Liebster award by Charlotte over at All Things Beauty & Lifestyle (charlottebeautyandlifestyle.wordpress.com). It is an award given to blog pages with less than 200 followers as a way to help them get noticed.
So here are the rules for the nominees:
1. Acknowledge the blogger who nominated you and display the award.
2. Answer eleven questions that the blogger gives you.
3. Give eleven random facts about yourself–they can be anything!
4. Nominate eleven blogs that you think are deserving of the award (but they must have less than 200 followers)
5. Let the bloggers know you nominated them.
6. Give them eleven questions to answer.
These are the questions I was asked:
1. What is your favourite part about blogging?
I like coming up with something to say. I can always “have something to say”, but thinking up a coherent, erstwhile post that I feel proud of can be a challenge. I like giving other people ideas, or things to think about. I’m glad for another outlet for creativity.
2. If you could only use one make up product for the day, what would it be?
90% of the time, I don’t wear any make-up. For a while I was wearing tinted moisturizer. It really does help even out skin tone. I always say I wish someone had told me acne doesn’t end at puberty. My other go-to would be either mascara or eye liner. It really all depends on my mood. But simple mascara or eyeliner can really help draw attention to your eyes.
3. How often do you clean your make up brushes? Not often enough…
4. What is your number one beauty tip?
Have fun. Don’t be afraid of color or product. Try something new. Go nuts. And fuck the haters.
5. When you have a day off what is your favourite thing to do?
Well, at the moment, everyday is my “day off”. But I always feel my best when I’m being creative. Whether that is writing, painting my nails, or making something else. I’m pretty much a jack of all trades, and master of a few.
I try not to get sucked into a meaningless loop of Facebook games and TV, but I make no promises.
I currently have about 7 books lined up to read. 2 are on my Kindle app and 5 are staring at me from my nightstand.
- Morrissey Autobiography
- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
- Sylvia Plath The Collected Poems
- Conceived With Malice: Literature as Revenge in the Lives and Works of Virginia and Leonard Woolf, D.H. Lawrence, Djuna Barnes, and Henry Miller
- A Man Above Reproach
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
- A book of short erotica stories based on the Lovecraft Mythos
6. Who is your idol?
That’s kind of difficult, because there are a lot of people I look up to and find connections with. Not so long ago, I fell in love with Henry Miller when I read Tropic of Cancer. When I was in my early 20’s, I would have told you it was Robert Anton Wilson. I still love him. If you had met me in my early teens, I would have professed my love for Warren Ellis, as I did in many a journal entry.
If you ask me artistically, I would say I’ve always felt a connection to Frida Kahlo and her surreal story-telling self portraits. But recently I’ve also been inspired by Bunny Yeager and Teeny Harris. I wish I had been alive to be part of the Dadaist movement. But don’t we all?
7. What is your favourite quote?
“A witty saying means nothing.” – Voltaire
8. What is your favourite genre of music?
Wellllll…. That’s a tough one. I guess I’m kind of emo-alternative, and stuck in the 80’s and 90’s, with some random 70’s stuff thrown in. I’ve always loved the Monkees and Social Distortion. I can’t really classify it with an all encompassing label. But I’ve seen a lot of concerts. And I’ve seen a few bands multiple times. I’ve probably seen Social Distortion the most, followed closely by the Misfits and The Counting Crowes. I have a signed ticket from a Counting Crowes concert.
It’s actually been bothering for a couple of days now that I used to have a guitar pick from Social Distortion that I got from their sound engineer, who I stayed friends with briefly after we met. I really hope I didn’t throw it away in a purging of things.
9. What is your favourite movie?
I will continue to go with the long time, stock answer of Billy Madison, because I can recite that movie line for line. I did once have an entire text conversation in Spaceball quotes until both of us literally ran out of dialog from the movie. Recently I’ve rediscovered my love for Blazing Sadles. The infamous bean scene will make me laugh until the day I leave this Earth. I don’t want to live in a world where fart jokes aren’t funny anymore.
10. What is the number one thing that you do to keep your skin clear?
This is currently a losing fight. I have good times and bad times. I’d like to specifically point at my hormones, or my eating habits, but I think internal strife does me no good. When I’m depressed and not taking care of myself, break outs seem to flare up.
I alternate using a black head scrub, a mild cleanser with no salicylic acid, and a regular no-frills cleanser with a scrub pad. I have the Burts Bees blemish stick and I’m using their moisturizer for acne prone skin. My skin is on the drier, more sensitive side, so I end up needing moisturizer so I don’t get flaky, but then I have to make sure it’s not too much to the point I start breaking out either.
11. What is one thing that you can’t leave the house without?
Clothes. They tend to arrest you if you do that. A bra so it doesn’t look like an episode of National Geographic. My wallet and my keys are good things to remember, though it hasn’t been unheard of for me to forget one or the other from time to time. I tend to have a neurotic thing about brushing my teeth before I leave to go somewhere because it makes you feel like you have a clean slate before you face the world.
I’m supposed to tag 11 blogs with under 200 followers, and as socially awkward and a non-participant in life, as I am, I can’t even name 11 blogs. So if the first 11 people who give me their blog addresses, I’ll update my list and comment on yours to let you know. But I can write my theoretical 11 questions.
- What was the last thing you read/watched/listen to that changed your life?
- What is your favorite thing to wear lately?
- If you could afford to buy one designer’s line in whatever size you are, which one would you get?
- What is your latest inspiration?
- What’s your favorite play/musical?
- If you could be a fruit, what fruit would you be?
- Buzzfeed quizes, harmless fun or the work of Satan?
- What do you think happened to Flight 370?
- What’s your favorite Stephen King story?
- If you were allowed to have an exotic pet, what would you have?
- Please describe your imaginary super hero, inner drag queen persona, or imaginary stripper playlist.
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I love to cook. I love to see what I can make with what I have.
- I’m a middle child and the only girl in my immediate family.
- I spent a long time learning how to read palms.
- I like to talk to the cats in French.
- Popular nick names for my cats (from myself) include but are not limited to: Ladybird Johnson, Porkus Aurelius, Squeaky Fromme, Leonard Trotsky, Chief Crappapaw, The Law Firm of Nebshitz and Nebshitz, and Stinky Pete.
- I call my purse Mary Poppins’ carpet bag because I have the most random things in there. I try to be like the Boy Scouts and always be prepared. Do you need a pen? I usually have it. A band aid? Lip balm?… Nail clippers? Just ask.
- I always have a need to read forbidden books, like Marquis DeSade or Anais Nin. And I started playing D&D because the 700 Club told me it would turn you into a blood drinking Satan worshiper, possessed by demons.
- I still haven’t started trying to play the violin I bought last Summer.
- I’ve had my license for less than 3 years.
- I prefer the Japanese version of Pulse and Old Boy. I like different things about the American and Japanese version of the Ring. I prefer the American Grudge to the Japanese.
- I’ve seen the first 5 Bring It On movies and all of the Final Destination movies.
Right now the only person I’m going to tag off the bat is my good friend Elizabeth:
But feel free to answer the questions in the comments below if you don’t have a blog. It’d be fun to get to know my “audience” too. Though I suspect I know 90% of you in real life and your my friends that are nice enough to read this.